THE POLICY ADVISOR
To become a policy advisor, you typically need an education in public administration, political science, foreign affairs, or a similar field. Many employers, especially government agencies, prefer candidates with at least a master’s degree, although some employers hire those with just a bachelor’s degree.
The exact education requirements vary widely depending on your specific area of interest.
Additional qualifications include excellent communication skills, extensive research experience, and a thorough knowledge of the law as it relates to your field.
Many of those interested in the career start as a policy analyst before becoming a policy advisor.~ THE POLICY ADVISOR ~
BECOME A POLICY ADVISOR
Where do you want to work? Find Jobs
WORKING AS A POLICY ADVISOR
- $80,105Average Salary
What Does A Policy Advisor Do At Leidos
* Perform extensive and thorough analysis into the legal history, precedent, decisions on a wide variety of issues to advise on the formation of policy and to ensure adherence to regulations, directives and law.
* Perform analysis and research into a wide variety of issues; evaluating findings to arrive at logical conclusions, identify omissions, questionable issues, or inadequate data to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, directives and law.
* Summarize finding orally and in writing.
* Research, analyze, evaluate and disseminate new or revise regulatory guidance to determine the impact on programs and resources to ensure compliance
* Exercise due diligence regarding security measures to ensure against the release of investigative or sensitive information that could compromise an investigation or complicate the policy formation process
What Does A Policy Advisor Do At The Nature Conservancy
* Provide policy and strategic advice to the Conservancy state chapters and the 50
* State implementation team.
* Provide analysis of pending legislative and administrative policy changes related to the energy sector at the state level, as requested by state programs and national climate staff.
* Provide analysis to include evaluation of policy options against criteria related to increased market opportunities for clean energy; transformation of the electricity sector in ways that will facilitate increased use of clean energy and
* piloting options that could be the basis for national policy related to climate and clean energy.
* Identify opportunities in states to promote new clean energy policies, either through legislative action or administrative action.
* Review requests for TNC “sign-on” in support of policy options, evaluating arguments presented and importance of policy outcomes.
* Assist with message development for public communications about policy options.
* Responsible for meeting departmental strategic goals and objectives.
* Able to communicate professionally with a wide variety of people from different cultures.
* Demonstrates strong communications and presentation skills.
* Able to prepare and present project proposals and negotiate with federal, bilateral and multilateral agencies and/or the business and corporate sector, to achieve program goals.
* Works in partnership with other organizations in a collaborative and advisory capacity.
* Develops and implements multi-year fundraising strategies, and goals.
* Effectively directs and or participates in complex negotiations.
* Develops constructive and effective working relationships inside and outside the Conservancy
What Does A Policy Advisor Do At McKesson
* A member of the clinical strategy and operations management team.
* Collaborates with other management to promote the adoption of any clinical content/rules or technology initiatives.
* Owns any metric analysis associated with enhancement project work.
* Project Team: Collaborates and supports clinical content and rules development roadmap for assigned KPs, providing content/rule scope, feedback on customer experience, reimbursement and medical policy trends, customer needs and customer content/rules feedback.
* Key participant in core project team investigating enhancements.
* Participates in meetings (e.g., clinical content/rule planning/retrospectives, stand ups for enhancement work, content assessment, etc).
* Performs tasks (clinical research, analytics review, peer review, requirements development, content development, UAT, training etc.).
* Participates in analytic review of clinical content/rules to evaluate trends and possible content/rule development opportunities for assigned KPs.
* Provides industry/clinical guidance to team.
* Participates in customer interviews, discussions and collaborations.
* Customer Implementation & Support.
* Supports Marketing, Sales, Account Management, Implementation Services and Service Center of Excellence teams, providing clinical guidance to clients and project teams to help maximize value realization for assigned KPs.
* Reviews current client policies and advises clients on industry best practice for medical and claims management policy to support existing content/rules/KPs utilization.
* Helps resolve escalating customer issues due to need for KP/content/rules enhancements.
* Also, supports cross McKesson collaboration for assigned KPs.
* McKesson is in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare.
* McKesson Health Solutions delivers industry-leading clinical evidence and expert technology to help payers and providers collaborate for better healthcare outcomes at lower costs.
* Our solutions reduce unnecessary healthcare utilization while improving outcomes; operationalize complex volume- and value-based payment models; and optimize billing communication between providers, patients and payers.
* Our solutions are in more than four out of five payers in the country; more than 3,900 hospitals and facilities use our InterQual® evidence-based decision support criteria; and our RelayHealth® financial solutions are used to automate 1
* billion financial transactions each year.
* We understand the importance of a system that works together.
* Your expertise, drive and passion can help us carry out our mission to improve lives and advance healthcare.
* Join our team of leaders to begin a rewarding career
* QualificationsMinimum Requirements
* years of experience in healthcare operations, within claims, claim support (coding), audit (FWA/SUI), or network management and operations.
* Critical Skills
* Consultative and customer facing skills required.
* ClaimCheck knowledge/experience
* MUST HAVE
* Strong Medical Policy experience required
* Coding/billing experience from the industry
* Ability to build relationships and motivate cross-functional teams to achieve results in a self empowered environment
* Knowledge of clinical application implementation practices in the healthcare payer industry.
* Additional Knowledge & Skills
* ClaimsXten product and clinical content/rules knowledge preferred.
* Working knowledge of clinical and content rules development preferred.
* years management experience
* Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) enabling effective communication both internally with all areas of the business and externally at prospect/customer staff, managerial, and executive levels.
* Must interface effectively with all levels of management as well a diverse technical team.
* Ability to identify gaps in process and provide guidance towards process improvement
* Demonstrated proficiency with various software applications, including but not limited to: MS Word; MS Excel; MS Access; Visio; JIRA; SharePoint with MS project a plus.
* Highly collaborative, self-starter; active, problem solver and adult learner
* Excellent organizational and time management skills.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; be flexible and responsive to adapt to significant amounts of change
* Demonstrate the company values of Integrity, Customer Focus, Accountability, Respect and Excellence (ICARE) at all times.
* Expert in agile lifecycle models a plusEducation4-year degree in nursing or healthcare-related field or equivalent experiencePhysical RequirementsGeneral Office DemandsBenefits & Company StatementMcKesson believes superior performance – individual and team – that helps us drive innovations and solutions to promote better health should be recognized and rewarded.
* We provide a competitive compensation program to attract, retain and motivate a high-performance workforce, and it’s flexible enough to meet the different needs of our diverse employee population
* We are in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare.
* We partner with payers, hospitals, physician offices, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies and others across the spectrum of care to build healthier organizations that deliver better care to patients in every setting
* But we can’t do it without you.
* Every single McKesson employee contributes to our mission—whatever your title, whatever your role, you act as a catalyst in a chain of events that helps millions of people all over the globe.
* Talented, compassionate people are the future of our company—and of healthcare.
* At McKesson, you’ll collaborate on the products and solutions that help us carry out our mission to improve lives and advance healthcare.
* Working here is your opportunity to shape an industry that’s vital to us all
* McKesson is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer – minorities/females/veterans/persons with disabilities
* Qualified applicants will not be disqualified from consideration for employment based upon criminal history
* Agency StatementNo agencies please
What Does A Policy Advisor Do At Pae, Inc.
* Assist counterpart Afghan government officials to develop policies, strategies and planning systems
* Provide technical supervision, training and mentoring to all JSSP employees assigned to policy and planning in the Afghan justice institutions
* Supervise, plan and conduct initial assessments of policy and planning functions in Afghan justice institutions
* Serve as the subject matter expert (SME) on policy and planning functions for JSSP leadership
* Help develop training and mentoring programs on policy and planning functions for Afghan justice institution officials
* Supervise the conduct of training and mentoring programs on policy and planning functions for Afghan justice institutions
* Help the Afghan justice institutions to devise effective mechanisms for implementation of their long term strategies
* Assist the Afghan justice institutions to conduct interdepartmental communication and coordination regarding policy and planning functions
* Help build Afghan justice institution capacity by establishing mentoring relationships with key Afghan officials involved in policy development and planning
* Develop and maintain expertise in policy development and planning within the Afghan Attorney General’s Office, the Ministries of Justice and Women’s Affairs, and the Supreme Court of Afghanistan
* Conduct necessary liaison with other relevant US Government, international and intergovernmental rule of law programs
* Help develop the professional skills of JSSP Afghan teammates
* Ensure the policy and planning departments of each Afghan justice institution is fully engaged in transition activities and building capacity and achieving self-sufficiency.
* Provide regular required reports on work activities and all other reports as required by JSSP leadership
* Perform any and all other duties as assigned by JSSP leadership
* An Equal Opportunity Employer.
* PAE’s hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
* EEO is the Law Poster at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
* JOIN OUR TALENT NETWORK at http://www.jobs.Net/jobs/pae/join
* PAE is a leading provider of enduring support for the essential missions of the U
* S. government, its allied partners and international organizations.
* With over 60 years of experience, PAE supports the execution of complex and critical missions by providing global logistics and stability operations, technical services and national security solutions to customers around the world.
* PAE has a workforce of approximately 15,000 people in over 60 countries on all seven continents and is headquartered in Arlington, VA.
* In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), should you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a currently open position with PAE, please call Recruiting at (703) 656
* or email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Disability Assistance” in the subject line
Do you work as a Policy Advisor?Review this Career
POLICY ADVISOR JOBS
Philadelphia, PADistanceJob TypeJob LevelDate PostedMoreAmerihealth CaritasPhiladelphia, PAPolicy Analyst II
4 months ago
$68,990 EstimatedAmerihealth Caritas Health PlanPhiladelphia, PAPolicy Analyst II
2 months ago
$68,990 EstimatedDepartment Of The TreasuryPhiladelphia, PATax Policy Analyst
11 days ago
Temple UniversityPhiladelphia, PAPolicy Analyst
10 days ago
$68,990 EstimatedAmerihealth CaritasPhiladelphia, PAPolicy Analyst II
2 months ago
$68,990 EstimatedAmerihealth Caritas Health PlanPhiladelphia, PAPolicy Analyst II
3 months ago
$68,990 EstimatedAdd To My Jobs
POLICY ADVISOR CAREER PATHS
POLICY ADVISOR FOUNDEROwner And FounderBoard Of Directors Member8 YearsPROGRAM MANAGERGeneral ManagerChief Executive Officer9 YearsDIRECTOROperations DirectorChief Of Operations7 YearsLEGISLATIVE LIAISONDirector Of Public AffairsChief Of Staff7 YearsSENIOR ADVISORSenior Project ManagerChief Operating Officer12 YearsCONSULTANTTherapistClinical Manager8 Years SHOW MORE
Do you work as a Policy Advisor?
Help others decide if this is a good career for themReview Career
|Average Length of Employment|
|Senior Policy Analyst3.4 yearsPolicy Advisor3.0 yearsPolicy Analyst2.2 yearsSenior Policy Associate1.7 yearsShow More|
|Top Careers Before Policy Advisor|
|Internship9.2%Law Clerk8.8%Executive Director7.3%Legislative Assistant7.3%Show MoreSearch for these Jobs|
|Top Careers After Policy Advisor|
|Director13.8%Executive Director10.3%Consultant10.0%Vice President6.7%Show MoreSearch for these Jobs|
Do you work as a Policy Advisor?
POLICY ADVISOR DEMOGRAPHICS
|Black Or African American16.3%|
|Hispanic Or Latino14.2%|
POLICY ADVISOR EDUCATION
|George Washington University11.7%|
ENTRY LEVEL JOBS FOR BECOMING A POLICY ADVISOR
Department Of The TreasuryPhiladelphia, PATax Policy Analyst
11 days ago
$68,990 EstimatedJob type you want Full Time Part Time Internship Temporary
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THE SALARY OF A POLICY ADVISOR?
Have you worked as a Policy Advisor? Help other job seekers by rating your experience as a Policy Advisor.
ComplianceLegislative IssuesTechnical SupportGovernment AgenciesHealth CarePolicy InitiativesPolicy IssuesEconomic DevelopmentPress ReleasesPublic SafetyState AgenciesStrategic PlanHuman RightsPolicy AnalysisHuman ServicesOversawPublic PolicyCounselEmergencyKey StakeholdersMedicaidSectorLaw EnforcementFederal AgenciesNatural Resources
- Legislative Issues
- Technical Support
You can check out examples of real life uses of top skills on resumes here:
- Coordinate with policymakers, pinpointed compliance gaps and proposed solutions to reduce vulnerabilities.
- Communicated with corporate principals and constituents regarding grants, federal appropriations and legislative issues.
- Coordinate across the U.S. Government Agencies on diverse money laundering and terrorism financing issues.
- Liaised between different departments to effectively coordinate legislation through congressional processes and organize health care press operations.
- Researched and designed creative policy solutions and engineered systematic policy committees, serving as chair, driving new policy initiatives.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE WORKING AS A POLICY ADVISOR?
Are you working as a Policy Advisor? Help us rate Policy Advisor as a Career.
TOP POLICY ADVISOR EMPLOYERS
Stichting Oxfam InternationalUS DEPT OF ENERGY NETLFederal Communications CommissionNORTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICESDepartment of Homeland SecurityComputer Science CorpFaryab ProvinceCENTRE FOR POLICY AND GOVERNANCE
Top 10 Policy Advisor companies
- Stichting Oxfam International
- US DEPT OF ENERGY NETL
- Federal Communications Commission
- NORTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
- Department of Homeland Security
- Computer Science Corp
- Faryab Province
- CENTRE FOR POLICY AND GOVERNANCE
- MAINE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
FIND POLICY ADVISOR JOBS IN EVERY STATE
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Policy Analyst
- Senior Advisor
- Operations Specialist
- Operations Coordinator
- Business Developer
- Contracts Specialist
- Business Development Consultant
- Quality Specialist
- Control Specialist
- Show More